Once you have your resume typed, its time to get to work on the cover letter. Having a solid cover letter is of equal importance as having a quality resume in order to successfully apply for jobs in Prescott. Avoiding mistakes and following the right steps will help your letter stand out from the rest in the eyes of potential employers. Here are some winning cover letter tips, courtesy of Seth Porges of Forbes:
1. Dont repeat your resume: avoid the temptation to regurgitate your prior experience in the letter for the sake of padding it. Briefly recapping your experience in one or two sentences is fine, but always remember that your resume is about your experience; your cover letter is about you and what you will bring to the company.
2. Keep it short: cover letters should never exceed a page. In fact, the average cover letter can be written in just three paragraphs and still contain all of the relevant information. Follow step one to shorten your letter if its getting over stuffed.
3. Address no one: often times applicants will not be aware of whom to address in their letter. If you are ignorant as to whom exactly will be reading your letter, dont bother addressing anyone at all; jumping right into the body of the letter is acceptable.
4. Dont ever: use the phrase My name is ______, and I am applying for the position of _____. This is redundant.
5. Give it a strong closer: end your letter with about two punchy sentences explaining how your experience can help your job performance. Once that is written, nothing else should come after it.
By Kyle Wise
Click here to find Prescott Jobs
Back to About